The Space exists to enable the arts, culture and heritage sector to engage audiences using digital and broadcast content and platforms.
Founded in 2013 by Arts Council England and the BBC, we are now an independent not-for-profit organisation. Our role is to fund the creation of new digital cultural content and provide free training, mentoring and online resources for organisations, artists and creative practitioners.
We believe embracing digital is essential to the future growth of the arts and cultural sectors.
Digital technologies have the power to open up new ways for people to access, participate in, and share, the rich diversity of UK culture. Applying these strategically will allow us all to push forward new artistic forms, attracting new audiences, making cultural experiences democratic and available to all.
We prioritise creating new engagement opportunities for people who are currently under-represented in cultural content and across broadcast and digital media.
The Space is an independent Community Interest Company (registered no. 08241091) with a Board Of Directors from the arts, media, digital and technology sectors.
Our Board Directors are:
- Emma Cooper, Creative Industries Knowledge Transfer Manager, Innovate UK KTN
- David Chikwe, Founder and Producer Three Tables Productions
- Sarah Ellis (Chair), Director of Digital Development, RSC
- Katie Hudson (Deputy Chair), Freelance Project Manager, Creative Industries R&D
- Nicola Osborne, Creative Informatics Programme Manager and Manager of The Institute for Design Informatics at the University of Edinburgh
- Jo Verrent, Senior Producer, Unlimited